Modular Slate Floor After Sealing
February 26, 2010- To seal slate tile
or not to seal is the question that bothers everyone who is installing slate tiles for the first time. Actually the sealing depends upon the type of slate tile and kind of finish that you want. If you want to have shinning surface on the slate tile then you can seal the slate tile otherwise you can leave the slate tile or strip as it is for a natural look.
Also slate stone is a natural stone that is porous is nature so take up stain very easily. The location from where these come also make the difference in physical and chemical properties. Slate tiles from India, China have inconstant absorption rate whereas slate tiles from Brazil and Vermont have low absorption rate. If absorption rate is low then the requirement of sealant is less otherwise you need slate sealant to reduce the chances of stain and spills.
Also Indian and Chinese slate stone vary in hardness where as slate tiles from other places are bit constant on this. So you will find both hard as well as soft slate tiles from India and China. As per the general rule more the softness more is the requirement to seal slate tiles and slate strips
. Vermont slate stone is dense and hard whereas Brazilian is less dense than the Vermont ones. This means that these do not require much sealing.
Slate Sealer and their Kinds
How to Seal Slate Tile and Slate Strip
Garden Slate Floor
- Clean the area before applying any kind of sealant and let the area dry completely. Apply first coat of penetrating sealant on the surface of slate tile and let it dry. Again apply second coat and let it dry as well. You can go for the last and third coat of slate tile sealant. The penetrating sealant gives more life to the slate strips and tiles.
- Also mix penetrating sealant in grout instead of water. This will improve the bonding strength of grout and mortar.
- After applying the grout and fixing the slate tiles let it dry at least for a week. Now clean the slate tile surface from any extra grout. Use soft cloth for this. Then wash the slate strips or tiles with water and let it dry completely. You can now apply one to two coats of sealant again on the entire surface for that grout also becomes stain resistant. If you have applied it on the floor then do not walk over it for at least 24 hours.
- Also it is very easy to maintain the slate floor, walls, paving or any other thing that is made from slate tiles. Just get water and very mild soap. Make the mixture and wash your floor with this. Use mop to clean it.
- Avoid high sheen floor finish as it will steel the natural look of slate tile. Also if your floor is black or dark in color then it will show more dust and look dirty if you have used high sheen floor finish.
- Do not use Xylene-based products as Xylene is harmful to the environment and health.
- Also do not use linseed or any kind of oil on the surface as sealant because these will make the surface slippery and also attract more dust.
- Always apply light coat of sealant otherwise it will make the slate tile floor very slippery.
- To avoid any kind of spot after sealing make sure to clean it properly with the non affecting cleaner or water. Always check the sealant at inconspicuous area.
- Slate tiles or slate stripes need resealing after a year. So if you are resealing it with another slate sealant (different from the applied one) then ask the manufacturer about the compatibility between the two.