Slate sealing is the process by which the surface of slate stone is
treated with sealer to reduce the staining and absorption of water and gas.
As slate stone is porous natural stone therefore air and gas can easily pass
through this and thus damaging it. Slate sealer stop the easy flow of air
and water thus helps in protecting the slate stone. So if you leave your
slate stone untreated then the life of this natural stone will get reduced.
Also if you want matte of glossy finish then you can apply the slate sealer.
Every type of slate application like slate
, slate roofing
, paving and
can be treated with
slate stone sealant.
Wax for Slate Sealing: Its Drawback
Earlier the wax was used to seal the slate but it causes more harm to the
beauty of this unique natural stone. Firstly it makes the surface very
slippery and it also discolors the slate. Wax after certain period of time
turns to yellow that change the appearance of the slate stone. So it is not
recommended to use wax.
Slate Tile Sealers
Today there are many types of chemical slate tile sealers
in the market that can be used effectively. These do not change the slate
stone physically so you can have what you have bought. Some of the sealers
are such that these give wet look to the slate stone, which imparts to the
Type of slate sealers you will use depends upon the
type of slate stone
. Brazilian and
Vermont slate stone has less absorption rate whereas Chinese and Indian has
more absorption rate. And if you are using soft slate stone then you will
have to be extra specific for the type of slate stone sealant. Soft stale
stones also need to pre seal and for this use porous slate seal. For air quality use water based sealers like polyurethane sealers and for
protection penetrating slate sealers are the best.
There are three main slate sealers
- Topical Slate Sealers: Topical slate tile sealers are applied on the
surface and these are made up of polyurethanes or acrylics. Although topical
slate sealers are too good for water and oil but it cannot stop the acid
- Penetrating Slate Sealers: Penetrating slate sealers
penetrate into the slate stone that are made up of siliconates,
fluoro-polymers and siloxanes. These slate tile sealers penetrate just to 1
mm of the tone. The best part of penetrating slate sealer is that it does
not change the color or appearance of the slate stone. It is also not
effective against any slate attack.
- Impregnating Slate Sealers:Impregnating slate sealers are like penetrating sealers but these penetrate more deep than the penetrating ones. These are made up of silanes or any
modified silanes. Damage from the traffic and weathering is also stopped by
the use of impregnating slate stone sealants.
Slate Stone Sealant Uses
- Sealers protect the slate stones.
- Sealers improve appearance of all slate, flagstone and quarry tile
- Sealers can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- Slate tile sealers can also be used as grout release.
Main Features of Slate Stone Sealers
All slate sealers manufactured in the market have certain commom features such as follows:
- The sealers repel oil and grease stains.
- All slate tile sealers are made nonflammable.
- No harmful vapors are used in slate sealants.
- Cleans up easily with water.
- Slate sealers are easy to apply.
- Water repellent.
Slate Seal Instruction
- You will get the glossy as well as matte finish slate sealant. So
depending upon the look that you want choose any one. You can also use
something that is in between these two extremes. Water based sealers are
semi gloss and very durable. It brings out the natural color of slate
stone. You will get this from any hardware or home improvement store.
- Pre seal the soft slate stone tile before placing them at their
place. For this first clean and wash the tiles and let them dry
completely. It may take a week. Apply very thin coat of sealant and let
it dry for a day or so.
- Now you can place and fix the slate stone tiles with mortar.
- Once the mortar is dry prepare the mixture for grouting. Put slate
sealer in grout mixture so that it becomes more resistant towards water.
- Do the grouting and remove any mixture over the slate tile so that
the surface remains clear. Let the tile in that for at least a week.
- Once the slate tile has been dried, cleaned and washed properly,
apply the slate stone sealant on it. To apply slate sealers follow the
grain pattern and evenly apply the sealant over the surface.
- Keep the area as ventilated as possible as sealant give off toxic
fumes. Let the slate tile sealer to dry for about three hours. Now you
can apply the second coat of slate tile seal to slate seal. Let this dry
for at least 2 hours.
: Chemical Properties
| Physical Properties
| Installing Slate Tile
| Slate Cleaning
| Slate Cutting
| Slate Sealer