Slate Care Tips
February 16, 2010- Proper slate care for sure will give life to your slate tile. Timely
cleaning of slate tiles
not only prevents
any kind of damage but also gives it an untouched appearance. Slate can be
used inside as well as outside the house. So proper slate care tips must be
followed to clean slate stone tiles.
It is the dust and dirt that causes maximum wear and tear of the slate
tiles that are used on floor. As you walk on the
slate stone tiles floor
on your sole will cause abrasion with the floor leading to its wear and
tear. To avoid that follow the following slate tile cleaning tips
- Sweep the floor with broom or soft clean cloth to remove the dust
from the surface
- Then you can use warm water to clean the slate stone tiles further.
- Also you can get the neutral cleaners like Ezkleen, Stonetech etc
that will remove the dust without causing any harm to the surface of the
tile. Before buying any cleaner check that it should not contain any
- After completing this task let the slate tile dry.
- Now apply the slate tile sealant above the slate floor or paving or
walkway or backspash. You can buy
the slate stone tiles sealant from the tile stores. Apply two to three
coats of it and let each coat to dry for at least 30 mins before
applying the next one.
Clean Slate Tile Stone for Stains
If you found any stain on the
slate tile then it needs to be clean immediately and if this stain is in
grout as well then it is really hard to get it out of that. Now if your
grout is not colored then use 50:50 Hydrogen peroxide and water and apply
this solution on affected area. Let the grout soak it. Again apply it and
wait. This will let the stain come out. If your grout is colored then this
mixture will cause harm to the color as well so use this method only if your
grout is not colored.
If still the stain is there then soak a clean towel or any other fabric in
the same solution and keep it over the stain for at least fifteen minutes.
If still stain is there on the slate stone tiles then make the paste of
hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. Let the bubbles settle down. Apply it on
the stained area. Spray some solution and let it dry. Take warm towel and
wipe it to get stain free slate tile.
Clean Slate Tiles Countertops
- The best method to clean stale tiles stone countertop is to clean it
with warm water.
- You can also use pH balanced cleanser. But before cleaning it with
cleanser dry the countertop completely.
- Apply countertop sealant all over the surface
- Apply mineral oil for shine and slate tile care.
- Use blotting paper to remove stain. For easy slate tile care tips it
is better to clean the stain as soon as you have those. You can use the
above method or alternatively you can apply the shaving cream on the
affected area. But again your grout must not be colored otherwise
bleaching will occur leading to further complications.
Slate Care Tips
- As far as possible never walk with shoes on slate tile floor. Better
to remove them to keep dust out.
- The best way to clean the dust is to do cleaning with soft cloth or
- Warm water is the best cleaning agent for slate stone tiles
- Clean the spills and stain as soon as possible.
- Apply quality sealant
- Use acid free and neutral cleaner to clean the slate tile floor or
any other slate tile stone.
Slate Cleaning Products
Slate floor cleaner
- Marbalex® - Stone Floor Cleaner
- Stone Quest® - Intensive Cleaner
Slate Countertop Cleaners
- Clean EnCounters® - Countertop Daily Cleaner
- Deep Cleaner for DuPont® Corian®
- Stoneglide® - Countertop Wipes
- Granisol - Aerosol Cleaner & Polish
You can also get disinfectants, sealers
stain removers, polishing products, and a complete slate care kit. Also
there are companies that provide slate cleaning services if you can afford